SATURDAY GENERAL SESSION: Research Showcase
Saturday, June 17; 11:15 AM – 12:30 PM
• 1 hour CPE
0142-0000-17-029-L04-P | 0142-0000-17-029-L04-T
Ashish Advani, PharmD, Clinical Assistant Professor and Director of Drug Information Center, Mercer College of Pharmacy
Research conducted in Georgia’s four pharmacy schools is changing the way pharmacists everywhere will practice the profession. Do you know what going on in your own pharmacy research backyard? Join 2015 Innovation in Pharmacy Award recipient Ashish Advani and guests for a look at some of the latest.
- Mercer’s Dr. Nader Moniri, who is researching food intake and satiety, as well as the development of novel anti-diabetic agents.
- PCOM’s Dr. Srujana Rayalam, whose work considers the recent emergence of brown adipose tissue as a potential therapeutic target for obesity and associated metabolic diseases like diabetes.
- UGA’s Dr. Dexi Liu, who employs gene cloning, biochemical, cell biological, immunological, and gene delivery/transfer techniques and the use of gene/protein as a drug for prevention and treatment of obesity, diabetes, cancer and other diseases.
- South University’s Dr. Goke Adeniji, who is developing novel small molecule compounds that are effective in castrate resistant prostate cancer.
After completing this session, learners will be able to:
- State key developments in pharmacy-related academic research in Georgia
- Outline specific ways that the practice of pharmacy will change as a result of this research
- Develop a plan to gain further training in related areas